Where It All Began
Hector Neil McLean, a man of proud Scottish heritage after whom the organisation is named, was born at Ellerston in the Hunter Valley, NSW on 5th December 1856. He lived most of his life in Inverell, and was regarded as a very community-minded citizen. He served on Council, and was committed to a dream of establishing a Convalescent Hospital.
Upon his death, on 29th March 1932, a provision of Mr. McLean’s Will designated that a hospital be established on his property ‘Killean’, the present site of the McLean Care® Inverell residential facilities. A condition of Mr. McLean’s Will directed that the financial estate be invested for a period of ten years. This expired in the midst of World War II, which delayed the construction of the convalescent hospital until 1951, due to the difficulty of acquiring building materials. The founding stone was laid on 17th November 1951, and the building was completed in 1953.
During its period of operation, the hospital provided an essential service to Inverell and surrounds, but as transport improved, and the need for convalescent-type care declined, it was recognised that a great void in aged care was developing.