International Job Seekers

Are you thinking of relocating to Australia?

McLean Care is dedicated to supporting international job seekers. We welcome to our company and to our communities’ people who share our passion for supporting elderly people to love their later life.

We understand making the decision to move to a new country is a big decision. We recognise to make this choice, you need information on more than just the workplace.

Our commitment is to support you on your journey and to transition to a new warm community. As part of the McLean Care team, you are joining an organisation that celebrate diversity, supports you to relocate and warmly welcomes you to our communities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Australian Employment Law is governed by the Fair Work Act. The Fair Work Ombudsman is the government and independent regulator to ensure all employers treat employees fairly.

There are several types of employment options in Australia, Permanent, Fixed Term Contract and Casual. Permanent employees can be full or part time. For more information about types of work arrangements see Fair Work Ombudsman.

Our Residential Facilities operate 24/7 meaning there are a broad range of shifts available. It is important for continuity of care to balance the needs of our elderly whilst considering your work preferences.

Fair Work review and determine the minimum award rates annually. Employers must pay the minimum or above. Working in Aged Care there are multiple awards that may apply; Aged Care Award, Nurses Award, SCHADS Award and the McLean Care Enterprise Agreement.

McLean Care prides itself on remunerating above award conditions. For more information on our rates of pay, email us here.

To work as a Registered Health Practitioner in Australia you must have approved AHPRA Registration. International Applicants can access how to do this by following this link.

Remember you cannot practice your profession in Australia without AHPRA Registration. It is a good idea to look at what you may need to do to receive your AHPRA Registration.

In Australia Drivers Licenses are issued by the relevant State Authority. You will need to consider which state you are moving to as a licence must be issued to the State you will reside in.

For New South Wales (NSW) Transfer an overseas driver licence | Service NSW

For Queensland (QLD) Driving in Queensland on an interstate or overseas licence | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government (

A Tax File Number is a unique personal number that identifies you in the Australian Tax and Superannuation System. In Australia there are laws that regulate the amount of superannuation your employer must pay to you and laws that regulate the tax you are required to pay.

Tax in Australia is used to support roads and public transport infrastructure, hospitals, education and a range of other government supported services.
You must have a Tax File Number to be able to legally work in Australia.

Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application | Australian Taxation Office (

Superannuation or ‘super’, is money put aside by your employer over your working life for you to live on when you retire from work. Super is important for you, because the more you save, the more money you will have for your retirement.

You can only withdraw your super money in certain circumstances – for example, when you retire or turn 65 years old. For temporary residents working in Australia, you will be paid your super once you leave the country. This is known as the Departing Australia Super Payment (DASP).

Your superannuation basics | Australian Taxation Office (

In Australia some retailers may not accept cash and of course, employers should only be paying you by an electronic fund transfer (direct transfer of payment to your nominated account). This will mean, you need to set up a bank account.

There are some major Australian banks that will allow you to streamline the process and set up a bank account up to 12 months before your arrival to country for example, ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, NAB, Westpac, Citi and HSBC.

You should consider obtaining a debit card from your chosen major bank to be able to easily access your funds when you are out and about, enjoying your new community.

By written application McLean Care will consider Sponsorship on case-by-case basis.

Sponsorship applications will consider:

• Resource/Skill shortages for the qualified profession
• Organisational needs, location and resources within the region
• Costs associated to the sponsorship
• Existing employees performance and future commitment to McLean Care

McLean Care will prioritise existing workers who have already relocated to the region and have demonstrated an ongoing commitment to McLean Care and the services we provide.

At McLean Care we celebrate diversity. Our residents, clients, communities and employees all share diverse cultural backgrounds. Our commitment to fostering a welcoming and harmonious place of work is driven by our Diversity & Inclusion Committee. Employees who share this passion are encouraged to contribute their ideas and join the committee. See more about Diversity & Inclusion.

McLean Care has six (6) facilities spread across New South Wales (NSW) & Queensland (QLD) and services delivered throughout the community across both states. When considering where you might like to relocate to, take a look at our location videos to find out more about the facilities and the local community.